Every year McDonald's sponsors the Mutton Busting event at the DNCFR. Two weeks before the rodeo officially makes it's way into town they draw names at the mall for the little cowboys and cowgirls who want to mutton bust. There are always herds of sad buckeroos who don't get drawn so to soften the blow McDonald's handed out ice cream coupons to all the kids who were present. That's where I come in. Handing out coupons to brighten kids' days is part of my job description. So, since we were there anyway I thought it would be fun to put Jase's name in for the drawing. I thought there was no way he would get drawn. But sure enough, the fifth name drawn was Jase Byrd. Awesome! He wasn't really sure exactly what was going on, but he was all smiles. Paul Anderson with KZBQ was there doing a live radio remote and Paul and I have worked together for years so he came right over to interview Jase and me on the radio. When Jase was asked if he was excited to ride a sheep at the rodeo he responded with, "What's a sheep?" It was hilarious!! And thus began his two week transformation into a hard core cowboy.
A few days after the drawing I received a letter with the rules for mutton busting. I had no idea this was going to be as intense as it was. There was a weight limit, and an official weigh in. We had to have a release of liability signed and notarized. And the most important part Jase and I both had to wear "western attire" which had to include a long sleeve shirt, cowboy hat and boots. Right. We hit every thrift store in town for a week and were able to find Jase a nice leather belt and a pair of Wranglers. We had a hat that's been floating around for a while and for Christmas Jase got a random plaid Wrangler shirt. I added a bandanna around his neck, because we must accessorize whatever outfit we are given. But boots....that was another story. We had 3 pairs but not one fit him. I could not find a pair at any of the thrift stores, so I mustered my courage reapplied my lip gloss and braved Vicker's. My yellow ballet flats were a little out of place. But they had boots. Lots of boots....for LOTS of money. Holy crap! However, because I have the best most amazingly generous bosses in the entire world, Mike (McDonald's owner) sent me back to Vicker's with a credit card and bought Jase whatever pair of boots he wanted. Yes, I cried. It was so sweet and Jase couldn't have been more excited or proud of his new cowboy boots. So Jase was ready. My ensemble was another story. Luckily I have a great friend who let me borrow her mom's vintage 1972 cowboy boots. I found a hat at Claire's (I know right?!) and dug out my old denim jacket. I so looked the part.
Jase was absolutely adorable. He wore his cowboy outfit for nearly a week straight! Here he is on his big night. Mike and Mary bought the whole family (grandmas and grandpas included) front row tickets to the show. His heart was beating a million miles an hour as he watched the bare back riders right before him. Then it was time to make our way to the chutes.
Jase got about 5 minutes to meet his sheep and get comfortable on him. I was standing right above him and encouraging him to hold on tight and not let go. He had his game face on and was scared stiff! But he cowboyed up and did it!

Yep he held on for about 2 seconds. Which is 2 seconds longer than I would have. Nasty sheep!
I was so very proud of him. He did awesome! As soon as he fell off he stood up and turned to toward me with the look on his face of, "Ok Mom I did it, now come get me." I couldn't of course and he wasn't going to move, so one of the cowboys ran out and picked him up and carried over to the side. It was so precious.
All the kids who participated received goody bags with McDonald's gift certificates, two official DNCFR bandannas, a Justin boots sticker, a 2010 Mutton Bustin t-shirt, and of course a big shiny belt buckle! How fun. Jase loved every part of the rodeo and wants to ride the sheep again, and then maybe horses. Our friend who loaned me the boots has a farm out in Soda and has the hook up in the local rodeo circuit, so we are planning on hitting those up for him. I guess it's a good thing I bought a cowboy hat! You never know what your kids are going to find an interest in. So from "What's a sheep?" to "When do I get to do it again?" in two short weeks we now have ourselves the cutest little cowboy!! Excellent!

so cute, next year he will ride better, this year he had his dad in him!
ReplyDelete