Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Fireplace Makeover

The first time I walked into our new house I felt at home. It was a wonderful feeling. And I loved everything about the house, apart from the fireplace. It was.....boring. Shortly after we bought the house we had a mantle built to match the cabinetry, but it still wasn't enough.
So about 2 weeks ago I went out shopping with my mom and came home to this scene unfolding before me. The boys decided, while I was gone, that now was the perfect time to tear apart the fireplace. Hammers were pounding and sheet rock dust was everywhere. But the process had begun, and boy was I excited!
Only took about an hour to strip the fireplace down. We even found buried treasure secretly encased behind the sheet rock too. 2 soda cans and a bottle of oil....random!
As soon as the sheetrock was off, Jason recased the fireplace in 1/2 inch cement Durock. Better to be safe than sorry.
Since the cement was going to be on for a few days before we could get it rocked, Jason let the boys decorate it for me. After all we simply must be fabulous even amid construction.
My little Picassos.
Jason and I found some beautiful slate that matches the slate in other parts of the house. The tricky part was that I wanted different sized pieces to make it more astetically appealing. Who knew that would mean more intellectually challenging? I mean don't we learn patterns in like kindergarten? Mercy it was certainly a challenge to find a pattern that would keep us on track while still maintaining that random look. But we did it! Oh and check me out...I totally helped! My job was, sticky gray stuff putter oner. I was amazing!
Ok, ok I know my job sounded really intense, but truth be told Jason did most of the work (shocker I know). I wasn't about to touch the tile saw and when it comes to measuring....um not so much. But together we knocked it out in about 3 days. We had a great time together all workin' and stuff with dirty things and power tools. Getting our Bob Villa on. Wow, sorry about that I'm still pretty proud of our combined efforts! Here's me putting in the final piece.
What do you think? Pretty amazing right! It really enriched the room and brought an added warmth. Thank you again Jason, I absolutely love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment