Monday, May 3, 2010

Dutch Oven Night

We had the opportunity to feed the missionaries this past week. I always take the chance to feed the elders, as someday I'll have boys out on missions and I can only hope someone will feed them (and feed them something that won't jack up their stomachs for the rest of their lives). I always worry that I'll fix something they've eaten 6 times already that week, but I thought since the weather has been so crappy no one else would have been dutch oven cooking. So the menu was Barn Bustin' dutch oven ribs, bacon potatoes, cheesy bread, pear cobbler and a fresh fruit bowl to cut some of the heaviness (well for that, and I can't get enough fruit these days. I heart fresh pineapple). Jason came home early from work to help me get things together, because I haven't been feeling so hot and because he's wonderful. There's only one way to get hot coals for dutch ovening and that's with fire. But how you ask do you have fire in the rain/blizzard with 40 mph wind gusts? Oh that's simple, in the garage of course! I had the fire extinguisher standing by, but Jason was confident it would be fine.
After the flames died down Jason moved to the other side of the garage to heat the dutches. Wise move! It was closer to the door leading to the kitchen so all the smell could waft in. Almost a week later my house still smells of campfire.

The boys couldn't let those extra hot coals go to waste. Roasted mallows make a perfect appetizer.

I wonder where he gets that big mouth from?
I forgot to get a picture of dinner before we ate, so this is after the elders left. If I was worried they didn't like it, my fears were calmed after they got seconds and then thirds. My ribs were fall apart in your mouth delicious! I have to brag a little, because dang if I don't make some good ribs! The potatoes were clearly heart healthy, loaded with 2 pounds of bacon and a pound of cheese. Ohhhh sooooo good! And Jason's cobbler was a hit. Why is it no one has ever had pear cobbler? It's yummy (or so I hear, I don't eat it, warm fruit grosses me out). We really enjoyed having the missionaries over, they were very kind. I tried to get them to do a service project for me before they left when they asked if there was anything they could do for us. I told them I had a mountain they could move for me....a mountain of laundry. But they just laughed. I wasn't kidding though :o). Maybe next time!

1 comment:

  1. I better be there the next time you have dutch oven! Winco has these campfire marshmellows, that are freaking huge, we had to buy them. We should have a cook out!

    ReplyDelete