Wow! We made it....and with 52 minutes to spare. Make no mistake it was a race to the finish this year getting everything ready for Christmas....ok so we do this every year. Someday perhaps Jason and I will get better about being prepared for Christmas. Although, truth be told the mad rush and big push to the finish has become apart of the Christmas experience. And near panic attacks at the Costco 2 days before the big event become memories. Of course as a child I loved Christmas, who didn't? As a parent the entire Christmas experience is more meaningful and special....yes panic attacks included.
Every year at the start of the holiday season Jason and I remind the children the true meaning of Christmas. We teach the children about the importance of Jesus' birth and have tried to explain many of the traditions of Christmas. This year we really tried to focus on why we give gifts. It is always so hard to tell if anything you are teaching your kids is actually sinking in, but every once in a great while those precious little spirits show you in deed that they are listening. Last Sunday in church we were told of a family that was in need. A collection was started to help provide a Christmas for a family that otherwise wouldn't be getting anything. As soon as Jason and I got home we collected some cash to contribute. Then Jason turned to Kaden and Jase. He told them of the family and how they were in need and asked if they would like to add any of their money with ours. They both said they did and ran to their rooms and came back with a few bills. Jase had only a dollar saved and gave it right away. Then Kaden came with two bills in his hand, a 10 and a 1. He looked at me and said he wasn't sure which one to give. I told him it was his choice and either one would help the family and then encouraged him that if he wasn't sure what to do to pray to Heavenly Father about it. He turned around took 2 or 3 three steps and stopped. He walked back to us and put both bills in the pile. He said, "I know what Heavenly Father would want me to do. That family needs this more than I do." Without another word and a peaceful smile on his face he walked away. Jason and I both looked at one another with tears in our eyes. He got it! Kaden truly understands the meaning of Christmas. It's about giving. Jesus was born into this Earthly life to give all that he had for us. He gave his life that we might return to our Heavenly Father. There is no greater gift.
This Christmas Kaden gave me the greatest gift I could have hoped for. In deed he proved his testimony to me. A simple unselfish act of our child reaffirmed my own testimony of the gift of our Savior Jesus Christ.
Sitting in my warm and quiet home with all 4 of my angels snug in their beds enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree the sense of peace and joy is profound. In a few short hours my home will be full of smiles and laughter and the wonder of Christmas will swell in my heart. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year.
What a sweet story!
ReplyDelete