This more of a journal post than anything else. And I have been meaning for days to get this done.....but life with 4 busy boys is, well, busy. So while 2 are off to school and 2 are still asleep I am getting this done!
I have the most incredible husband. A week and a half ago we had planned a date night to see Water for Elephants on its Friday opening. Jason and I both read the book, a rare thing as we have pretty different tastes in reading material.....shocker right?! And we were both excited, ok probably me more so, to see how the book would be adapted for the big screen. As Friday got closer, our date night seemed to get further out of reach.
As some of you may know, Jason has a pretty difficult job, to say the very least. And recently it has gone from difficult to at times highly dangerous. His clientele is a hard population to work with and the particular batch he has now can be quite violent. It seems Jason has come home beaten and broken more often than not of late. From scratches to bites, to broken bones, to near death experiences of narrowly escaping being thrown out of windows and off ledges.....as I said, it's been difficult.
Wednesday Jason was informed that a former client had been released from jail by a judge. Just released. No one was there to pick him up, he had no where to go and was just let loose on the streets. Without going into details, because frankly I don't have them, Jason is far too ethical to share those, the client was drunkenly returned to Jason's employers care. This client had been released from their care when he was put into jail, and they had no duty to him whatsoever. The man knew this and left the facility. A staff called Jason at 11:30 Wednesday night to tell Jason the client had left and was walking the streets again. Jason, being the person he is, jumped up grabbed his jacket and keys and took off into a thunder storm to find this man before he hurt someone. Of course I was less than thrilled with this plan. In fact I think my words were, "Jason you are not Dog the Bounty Hunter!" Jason kissed me and off he went into the night. This was probably the most scared I have been for my husband related to his work. I prayed nearly the entire time he was gone that he would make it home safely. Jason believes he was led to find this man by inspiration. I believe he is right. It was literally a search for a pin in a hay stack. By 2 a.m. Jason was home and the client was in responsible hands.
When we woke later that morning Jason told me he may be flying to Alaska to return the client to the Alaskan authorities. I try hard to be supportive of Jason in his career and for the largest part I am. This was asking a lot! This man is highly dangerous, violent and unpredictable. He has attacked Jason numerous times. And now Jason is going to fly with him for hours to Alaska. No way! At 11:15 the call came. Jason was going. He had 30 minutes to be to the airport. I cried, I complained, I tried to talk him out of it. I shouted, "You are not an air marshal! You are a counselor! This is not your job!" Jason calmly agreed with me. Then because Jason is the most selfless person I know said, "Victoria I have to go. If he goes alone, he will destroy some innocent person's life." How do you argue with that? I still cried and was unhappy about the whole thing and finally said, "Fine but you better be home for our date night." Truthfully I just wanted him home, but the date night part was to ease the tension and make light of my emotions.
Jason left the house at 11:20 a.m. Thursday he traveled to Idaho Falls to Salt Lake to Seattle to Fairbanks Alaska and back. Non-stop. During his travels his boss who set up the flights accidentally put the wrong name on Jason's tickets so he spent quite a lot of time proving to security at each check point who he was. Jason was right about the need for the man to be escorted. Had Jason not been with him every step of the way someone would have gotten hurt. Jason finally deposited this man to the authorities and turned to get back on a plane to fly home. When his boss offered a hotel for him in Fairbanks for a day or two Jason told her no.....he had to be home for date night. And sure enough! After 27 of hours of straight travel Jason made it home to me at 1:30 p.m. Friday.
And then stayed awake through the entire movie we caught at 7 that evening! What a man! I am so blessed he is mine!
Jason tells me he loves me every single day. And more importantly he shows me he loves me every single day. Jason is the perfect man for me. And I love him with my whole heart. Seeing the movie that night wasn't the most important thing. Had we missed the movie the world would have continued to spin, but my husband made me and our time together a priority above all else. There is no greater love on Earth.
Awwwwh!
ReplyDelete