Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Baby Story

Byrd's....table for 6. That's right! We welcomed our new little man, Kellan Jack, into the world Monday, October 25, 2010 at 1:02 p.m. But I'm getting ahead of myself....you must first have the baby story.
My doctor had me scheduled to be induced on Monday, a few days before my due date, because I have nice sized babies and we didn't want the baby getting too big. As Portneuf (freaking hospital...argh!) has a tendency to be filled up I was so worried I wasn't going to be able to get in that morning. I was so nervous about it that Jason recommended I call the night before to see how things were going on the Labor and Delivery floor. The nurse said they only had one mother and there should be plenty of room for me in the morning. I was sooo excited. I'm pretty sure Jason was counting on them being full and me not being able to get in, but when I told him what the nurse said, his entire body language changed. He started squirming in his chair and I could tell by the look on his face that he was getting excited....and nervous.

Needless to say I slept like a child on Christmas Eve. I laid in bed watching the clock most of the night. I was so full of emotions from elation to terror. I've had some pretty scary birth experiences and I was terrified something might go wrong. At the same time I was so excited to have my little boy here that I was more than willing to go through whatever was ahead to bring him home. I watched as my clock turned to 5:00 and my alarm went off. Jason and I both got ready and then called the hospital at 5:45 and sure enough, they had room for me. So by 6 we were off to the hospital to have a baby. We got one last shot of my pregnant belly.

After being admitted, getting my IV, and having some blood work ran the nurse started my pitocin. I had been having some mild contractions every few minutes and within about 5 minutes of the pitocin going in things started to pick up.
Jason always likes to get a picture of me while laboring. Always my most flattering shots! This one was in between contractions at least. A minute later would have been a much different face.

Jason also got a picture of the monitor with some of my early contractions. That pitocin sure hits fast and hard. Things were going pretty well but my contractions were a bit inconsistent. The nurse told me I should wait until they got more regular before I had an epidural so it didn't slow things down. Jason said there was no reason to be a hero and just get the drugs. Soon Jason's logic made more sense and I had them call in the drugs. Epidurals always make me sick, but I figure nausea is always better than pain. Unfortunately my epidural was one sided. My left side was completely numb, while my right....not so much. No amount of gravity could get the meds to flow over to that other side. It was a pretty strange feeling that's for sure. To feel nothing on one side of your body and intense pain on the other. Just before the epidural I was dilated to almost a 5. After an hour of being nauseated and in pain I started to feel different. I told Jason to get the nurse to check out my progress. She informed us I had had a productive lunch hour and it was time to get ready for a birthday party. The doctor who was during her rotation came in and got things started. After about 4 rounds of pushing (10 minutes) she said STOP!! What?!!!? She wanted my doctor to be there apparently, but I was ready to just keep pushing. Luckily Dr. Dyer was quick in arriving and with one more good push Kellan Jack was born.
All pink and screaming!! Just the way he should be.

After a quick cleaning, Kellan weighed in at 8 lbs 7 oz and 21 inches long. Yep! That's one healthy baby boy! He was certainly ready to be born. And I was thankful we didn't wait any longer!
I love this picture. He looks so sweet.


He has such wrinkly little old man feet.
Finally after they finished cleaning and weighing and pestering my baby they brought him over to me. There are no words for the moment you meet someone who you've loved since before time and existence. In that instant I couldn't imagine my life without him in it. He is amazing and the perfect piece to complete our family.

So fresh from heaven.
An hour of so later they moved me to my recovery room and it was time for the rest of our boys to meet their new brother. Jase was surprisingly the most excited. He was all smiles as he walked in the room and the very first thing he wanted was to hold Kellan. He climbed up on the bed and was in awe when Jason handed him the baby. Jase was so soft and gentle. It was a precious moment.
As the veteran big brother, Kaden was happy to meet Kellan of course. Kaden is always such a good big brother, I have no doubt he will help teach Kellan great things in the years to come.
Ethan was a little overwhelmed by the whole experience. The hospital room (which is ridiculously small and uncomfortable), the moving bed I was in, and the IV still in my arm freaked him out and he wouldn't even get close to me. Finally he warmed up enough to want to hold Kellan. Naturally he fell in love with his baby brother and gave him lots of kisses!
Finally I got someone to get a picture of Jason with the baby. Jason made sure to keep the camera just out of my reach all day.

Jason was amazing through everything that day. He kept me calm and focused and did the little things I needed from him. From gently rubbing my hand while in labor to giving me encouragement during the birth, he was beyond wonderful! I couldn't have done it without him. And he is a tremendous dad. Kellan is so blessed to have him as his father.


As this new little life has entered ours a new chapter has begun for our family. One I have no doubt will be full of love and joy. With our family all present and accounted for I look forward to sharing every crazy beautiful moment with them.


5 comments:

  1. Love the last photo of you and Jason gazing into each others eyes with baby Kellan. It is a beautiful and precious moment that was captured. I feel the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what a sweet story! you do have a beautiful family! while i was reading your story about the part of the epidural only taking one side i remembered while I was getting my c-section with Alyssa there was one side that the block didn't take to as well. Nothing worse than feeling your stomach being cut open!!! I freaked and got the anesthesiologist right on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet baby. Congratulations to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a special post that you will forever cherish. He is such a sweet baby and I am so happy for you and your family! Congrats on the new bundle of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so glad that he is here! What a beautiful family. You are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete